Dr. habil. Ulf von Kalckreuth
born 27.06.63 in Tübingen, Germany;
married, 2 daughters.
Since April 2013: Head of Section in the Statistics Department of the Deutsche Bundesbank, directing the exchange rate statistics, the external competitivity indicators and the Graphics Service. Major project -- until January 2014 -- is coordinating the implementation of an integrated micro-data based information and analysis system (IMIDIAS).
Until April 2013: Principal Economist in the Research Centre of the Deutsche Bundesbank, directing a unit on household survey data research and co-ordinating research activities on household finance and corporate finance -- Bundesbank research page. Main task was the successful implementation of a large scale panel survey on household finance and wealth in Germany, the PHF panel.
1998 - today Economist in the Economics Department, the Research Centre and the Statistics Department of the Deutsche Bundesbank in Frankfurt am Main
1991-1997 Scientific employee at the Chair for International Relations, Prof. Dr. Jürgen Schröder, University of Mannheim. Assistant lecturer in macroeconomics and international relations.
Areas of Expertise and Specialisation
2013–now: General statistics, statistical data warehousing, research data dissemination, project management, administration;
2006-2013: Survey statistics and household surveys, household finance, setting up and running a primary statistical unit, co-ordinating scientific research;
1998-2008: Investment, corporate finance, microeconometrics (specifically dynamic panel econometrics), annual accounts data, enterprise surveys;
1992-1998: Monetary macroeconomics, international economics, growth, development, econometrics, mathematical statistics.
- Habilitation (post doctoral degree distinguishing the quality of research and teaching) in Economics at the University of Mannheim in November 2008. Habilitation thesis on “Financing Constraints and the Adjustment Dynamics of Enterprises.” Habilitation webpage
- PhD in Economics at the University of Mannheim in July 1998, with the grade of summa cum laude (best possible). Studies in development economics, growth, econometrics, mathematical statistics. Dissertation on “Growth and Social Integration in Dualistic Economies”.
- Diploma in Economics at the University of Mannheim in May 1991, with the grade of sehr gut (best possible). Specialisation in international economics, macroeconomics, public finance, econometrics, industrial enterprises. Diploma thesis on “Theories of the Term Structure of Interest Rates” was awarded a prize by the Foundation Rheinische Hypothekenbank. Undergraduate studies in “Economics with Latin American Studies” at the University of Tübingen.
- Econometric work with micro data, specifically issues related to household finance, corporate finance, firm investment and financing constraints, survey statistics;
- The distribution of income and wealth;
- Topics in International Economics, Macro and Finance.
- the Federal Government of Germany, as member of the 5. German Data Forum (Rat für Wirtschafts- und Sozialdaten), since July 2014, see http://www.ratswd.de
- the Hans-Böckler-Stiftung, in a steering committee for a DIW project on wealth distribution in Germany (2007 – 2009).
Referee and Evaluation work
- European Economics Review, Economica, Empirical Economics, Applied Economics Quarterly, EZB, NSF (National Science Foundation), ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council), OeNB, SUERF, ZEW, FU Berlin (Master thesis in Statistics), University of Frankfurt (member of a finding commission).
Apr. 2003 - Nov. 2003 Secondment to the Bank of England, Financial Stability Department, with a research project on financial constraints in the UK.
Dec. 1993 - April 1994 Visiting at the NBER in Palo Alto and Stanford University, California
Aug. 1987 - Oct. 1987 Educator in a daycare centre for children at Ceilândia near Brasília, Brazil
March 1986 - Sept. 1986 Internship at the Siemens Portugal S.A.R.L. in Sabugo and Lisbon, Portugal
German, English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hebrew
Download detailed CV